CHENNAI: The revenue administration department of the Tamil Nadu government on Monday released a list of dos and don’ts for the general public after cyclone Vardah wreaked havoc in Chennai and surrounding districts.
In a release, the department recommended the following safety measures.
1. Till safety returns, do not go to areas where floodwaters have receded
2. Even after floodwaters have receded, avoid going to riverbanks
3. Check the safety of buildings that have been flooded; do not enter if there is stagnant water inside the building
4. Check if there are cracks or damages to the building, walls, doors, windows, ceiling to ascertain safety of the building
5. Check the electricity connections, gas stoves on the floor, boilers, LPG cylinders, motor pumps
6. If pipes are damaged, stop using toilets and water connections
7. If sewage pipes are damaged, get it fixed immediately to prevent spread of diseases
8. Along with flood water, insects, poisonous snakes could have entered homes – be careful
9. Avoid using water, food, medicines that were soaked. Clean and sterilise products before using them again.
10. If gadgets were damaged, disconnect from power supply
12. Drink boiled, chlorinated water
13. Use roads that are safe, be careful of fallen trees, electricity wires that have snapped or hanging low, land slides
14. Seek medical aid for small injuries, diseases
16. Take photographs of damaged buildings if you wish to claim insurance
17. If the gas connection is closed, be extra cautious while you light the stove again
18. Prevent children from playing in flooded areas